It’s that time of year again, when the days get shorter and the snow piles up. After a few months of darkness and cold, it’s very easy to acquire the “winter blues” or even S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder). As an Ohio native, I’ve become accustomed to a good six months of winter weather a year. Here are some of my tips to cheer away the winter blues this season:
- Happy Light: I recommend investing in a light box, which mimics the natural light that we lack during the winter. Light boxes can actually have a positive effect on your brain during the winter months. If you struggle with seasonal affective disorder, this product can work wonders for you.
2. Essential Oils: Using summery, citrus scents like lemon and orange can help you feel more cheerful and upbeat during the cold winter months. Essential oils have a myriad of functions, and they are an easy, healthy way to integrate aromatherapy into your lifestyle.
3. Get Outside: While a light box can help you out tremendously, artificial sunlight only goes so far. Consider taking up a winter sport, like skiing, or simply going for a hike to get some fresh air outside.
4. Candles and Fires: Warm up your home with scented candles and a roaring fire in the fireplace. Sitting by the flames can feel so relaxing and will help you warm up after a day in the cold!
5. Warm Beverages: Studies have proven that simply holding a warm cup can ease feelings of anxiety and help you feel calmer and happier. So indulge in the opportunity to make a cup of tea, coffee, or hot chocolate and just enjoy the soothing effects it has!
6. Exercise: Hitting the gym and working up a sweat is a great way to get your endorphins circulating again. During the winter, the cold makes us want to hibernate, but working out every now and then can loosen up sore muscles and kickstart your metabolism.
7. Decorate: After Christmas, your home can feel bare when you put away all your decorations. Consider decorating for holidays like Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day to make your house feel cozier, and leave up some string lights to add a cozy glow.
8. Socialize: Make dates with your friends so that you get out of the house and have some fun. It seems like it’s harder to have social events during the winter, but if you use your imagination, the possibilities are endless!
9. Travel: If it is within your budget, taking a short trip to a tropical oasis is the ultimate cure for winter blues! If you haven’t the time or funds to take a trip, visit a local botanical garden or greenhouse to be in a warm, humid atmosphere among greenery!
10. Books and Netflix: Getting cozy with a good book (or a good series to binge-watch) is a great way to spend your down time in the winter, especially over holiday breaks. Getting lost in a story will distract you from the blizzard outside!
I hope you guys enjoyed this post and found it helpful! How do you beat the winter blues? Leave a comment! <3
Thanks for reading!