Hello, my dears!
Today’s post is all about how to start your very own blog. I have learned so much about producing content in the last year, and there’s still so much more for me to learn. Blogging is one of those things where you just keep learning and improving as you go- but you don’t need to be an expert right away. Here are my top tips for starting a successful blog:
- The Name: Coming up with a blog name is super important. You want to take your time on this and make sure it’s perfect so that you don’t have to change it later. Be prepared for ideas to come at any time: and always jot down whatever comes to mind to brainstorm later! Once you’ve found a creative name, stick with it.
- Connect: Always connect with your followers. Reply to comments, check out your followers’ blogs, and pay attention to which posts your audience loves. I don’t care what your website looks like, if you’re not doing a good job of connecting with your audience, you will struggle.
- Be Proud: Tell your friends and family about your blog. Tell strangers about your blog! There’s no need to be ashamed or embarrassed- own up to what you’ve created! The more people you tell, the more your blog will grow.
- Don’t Limit Yourself: You don’t need to always stick to a certain niche. Your content will be better if it’s inspired rather than forced, so write about what you’re passionate about.
- Take Pictures Everywhere: Good lighting? Take a picture. Beautiful scenery? Take a picture. Just something interesting? You guessed it…the more you stock pile pictures, the less likely you are to run out of images to include on your blogs. And using pictures that are your own is always better!
- Hosting: Brush up your knowledge on site hosting. You can either blog through a larger company, like WordPress or Wix, or go self-hosted. If you want to learn more about this, there is more information here. I recommend carefully selecting your plan; it depends on how much you use your website and what you would like to do with it.
- Be Consistent: Post regularly. Don’t constantly fall off the wagon and get back on. Maybe you “need a break” or you’re “too busy,” but using these excuses again and again will disappoint your hard-earned followers.
- Don’t Do it for the Money: If you start producing content because you want to sell out and get paid by brands to advertise their products, you’re blogging for the wrong reason. Blog because you’re excited to write about your passions and share that with others. Partnering with brands is great, but only when your heart is in the right place.
- Always Proofread: Using good formatting and correct grammar will make your blog much more professional and credible. Take the time to read over your work.
- Just Do It: So many people say, “I could never do that.” But you totally can- you just have to go for it and give it a shot. You can’t expect to acquire thousands of subscribers overnight, or for large corporations like Neutregena or Maybelline to come across your site right away…no one gets there without a whole lot of work. But if you put in the time and effort, you will be blown away by how easy it is to make nothing into something, all on your own.
I hope these tips were helpful for those of you wanting to start a blog…and if you’re already a blogger, comment down below what your best tips are!
Thanks so much for reading!