I don’t know about you, but lately I’ve been on a mission to detoxify my life for 2018. That means a lot of things: getting rid of old clutter, developing healthy habits, cutting out people who no longer bring me joy, etc. And while this can be very difficult, it feels good when you have a fresh start.
I’ve broken this post into three categories: home, digital, and life.
Let’s get started!
DECLUTTER YOUR HOME:
- Pull out some garbage bags and just start going through your closets, cabinets, and junk drawers. Throw away trash and anything you didn’t remember you had (which therefore will continue to serve no purpose) and only keep important and very sentimental items.
- Fix any broken odds and ends: fussy door handles, stained carpets, ceiling leaks. You’ll feel better knowing all those loose ends are tied up!
- Remove everything from your cabinets and surfaces and scrub them down with disinfectant. Also remember to dust off your doors, windows, and ceiling fans.
- Go through your wardrobe and purge what isn’t coming with you to 2018. Immediately put the bag in your car trunk so that you can drop it off at the donation center when you’re out and about.
DECLUTTER YOUR MEDIA:
- Go through your Snapchat friend list- are there any exes or trouble friends viewing your stories? Trust me, it’s better to delete them. You’ll feel better knowing that they’re not seeing your posts, especially if you have your map feature enabled.
- Unfollow spree: Unfollow or hide any accounts that make you feel sorry you opened the app. You don’t need that kind of negativity in your life.
- Clear your browsing history. Fresh start.
- Delete any contacts that you no longer need.
- Delete any pictures (especially pictures of worksheets from school) that are taking up precious space in your camera roll.
DECLUTTER YOUR LIFE:
- Think about what brought you the most joy in 2017. Now, think about what caused you the most stress. If there is a person, job, or activity causing you stress and you don’t absolutely need that person, job, or activity, don’t be ashamed to move on. We can’t escape stress completely, but we can pick and choose our battles.
- Freshen up your picture frames with newer, more recent photos.
- Smudge your home on New Year’s Eve. Can’t hurt, right?
Aaaaand those are all my tips! I really hope this post was helpful for you guys. While New Year’s is essentially just like any other day, preparing yourself to go into 2018 with a clear plate will only benefit you.
I wish you all the best in the New Year!
Thanks for reading!